Claiming benefits can be a complex and frustrating process.
Our principal advice for those diagnosed with NF and carers is “never give up” – keep enquiring until you are clear of what your full entitlement is.
If you have any questions or need further help, please contact our helpline 07939 046 030 Monday, Wednesday & Friday 9am - 5pm (https://nervetumours.org.uk/help/line).
It can be complicated to work out what you are entitled to. Charity Turn2us provides a free Benefits Calculator to see what you may be able to claim for.
Those diagnosed with NF may be able to claim for:
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – If you are aged between 16 and State Pension age and have extra care or mobility needs (difficulty getting around) as a result of your diagnosis
- Attendance Allowance – If you are over State Pension age, are affected by physical or mental illness or disability as a result of your NF diagnosis and you need help with your personal care.
- Disability Living Allowance (children up to age 16) – If your child is aged under 16 and has extra care needs or mobility needs (difficulty getting around)
These short videos give you more information about DLA and talk you through the application process
If you are unable to work because of your NF Diagnosis, you may be able to claim for:
- Universal Credit – if you are aged between 16 and State Pension age and on a low income or aren’t working. It includes amounts for disabilities. For new claimants, Universal Credit replaces the help that used to be provided through income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) – If you are aged 16 or over and under State Pension age and are unable to work because of your NF Diagnosis. Provided you have made enough National Insurance contributions and you can’t receive Statutory Sick Pay.
- Working Tax Credit – if you are already getting tax credits and satisfy the eligibility criteria, you might be able to get an extra amount in your working tax credits because of disability arising from your NF diagnosis
- Severe Disability Premium – if you are getting income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Housing Benefit or Pension Credit, check if you can get Severe Disability Premium to help with the costs of your disability.
Turn2us also provides the facility to search for a local advisor, for specialist advice in your area.
Benefits and Work: Comprehensive step-by-step guides for claiming (and appealing benefits) such as Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Universal Credit (UC), Disability Living Allowance (DLA).